Please read the application instructions carefully before starting your application.
MEM Application Deadlines
The MEM program has three admissions periods:
- Round 1: For applications submitted by January 15, students will receive notification by March 15 and must send a deposit by April 15 to reserve a place in the program. (Round 1 wait-list notifications start April 15.)
- Round 2: For applications submitted by March 15, students will receive notification by April 20 and must send a deposit by May 15 to reserve a place in the program.
- Round 3: Applications submitted after March 15 are processed within one month, on a space-available basis.
MEM applicants who wish to be considered for need-based financial aid must complete the application for financial aid concurrent with submitting their application for admission. Late applications for financial aid will be accepted, but financial aid may be capped at 20% of tuition, rather than the 40%.
Interviews and Campus Visits
Prospective students are encouraged to visit campus. Meet with MEM faculty and staff, enjoy lunch with current MEM students, and, if time permits, sit in on a class. To schedule a visit, call (603) 646-2606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who visit campus before February 15 will not be asked for an additional interview.
Applicants who are unable to visit campus and are finalists in the admission process may be asked to interview via Skype. The MEM program will contact these applicants directly.
MEM Application Requirements
- Graduates of programs other than Dartmouth's AB program and Thayer School's dual-degree program must submit scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Three letters of recommendation must be submitted online. Recommenders should complete the evaluation form and submit a letter. The recommendation letters should come from the applicant's college professors, unless the applicant has been out of school for several years. Applicants with work or military experience or currently in another graduate program can submit a recommendation from an immediate supervisor, a current or former employer, a former college professor, or another professional or community contact. All recommendations MUST be on official letterhead with original signatures, contact phone and email information.
- If a letter needs to be mailed, use the recommendation form in the “Downloadable Forms” area within the ApplyYourself application. Letters must be sent in signed, sealed envelopes to: Graduate Admissions, Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth, 14 Engineering Dr., Hanover, NH 03755.
- One official, original transcript from each college or university attended must be uploaded to your application (see application instructions for details) or sent to Thayer School directly at the address listed in the application instructions. International applicants must make arrangements to have their academic records translated and sent along with originals. Where American-style transcripts are not used, the applicant must include all available records including courses, grades, degrees, and rank in class. University officials must certify these records.
- Applicants must submit a Statement of Purpose and respond to an Essay Prompt on the application's MEM supplemental page.
- The GRE is REQUIRED of ALL applicants.
- Only those applicants who have not, or will not, earn a degree from a US institution are required to submit scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Original test scores MUST be sent to Thayer School of Engineering directly from the testing organization. No photocopies of test scores, or tests sent from an applicant, will be accepted. Applicants should request that scores be sent to Thayer School when pre-registering for language tests. Thayer School is not departmentalized; therefore, it is NOT necessary to include a department code. IELTS scores my be sent to "Dartmouth College."
- The ETS code number for Thayer School of Engineering is 3360 for both GRE and TOEFL scores. For GRE and TOEFL information, visit www.ets.org. For IELTS information, visit www.ielts.org. For more information, please see the Graduate Application page.
- Students admitted with additional required undergraduate engineering courses must complete them while in the MEM program. Applicants who need more than three additional engineering courses can enroll initially as a special student or may apply to the Bachelor of Engineering (BE) program.
Admissions Office Contact Information
Admission to the Master of Engineering Management (MEM) program is through:
Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth
Toll-free: +1 (888) 842-9376
All others: +1 (603) 646-2606